Monday, December 10, 2007

Karyn McConnell Hancock: Media Coverage

I've been a journalist for nearly 25 years and I have to admit some of the McConnell Hancock media coverage has left me a little under-whelmed. I want to hear from fellow NOBMA and local NABJ members and the public before I throw my tw0 cents in, seeing that I'm living in Indiana now and I can only pick up what's online. I'm sure I'm missing a great deal (I sure hope so.) Since no one else will ask it, I will: how much of this story is affected because she's African-American and a woman? Has that meant better coverage or worse coverage? Why?

1 comment:

Mercury - producer/emceo (U.G.E.) said...

I'm here in Toledo and i've only caught glimpses of it because i've been busy (not due to any shortage of coverage) -- Two news stations here went as far as to have a little section of their coverage where they showed on T.V. the comments bloggers left on their websites --- of course all of those perspectives were from people who wanted Karyn's head on a platter and the WTOL coverage seemed to focus on Blogs that had a conservative christian tilt to it because every comment they chose to read said something about McConnell lying to God or something like that.

But honestly - I think Chenikwa Stratford's facial expressions say it all.... "why did this dignified person do some loony as a toon and make us black women look loony along with her" -- of course, i'm just reading an expression tho - LOL.