Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Presidential candidates run away from minorities, media

Check out the link to this Washington Post story. I have to admit, when I heard Tavis Smiley was organizing a debate on minority issues for Republican candidates at Morgan State, I said, "how in the heck did he pull that off?" Well seven days before the debate and they are dropping like addicts at a Rolling Stones concert. I'm willing to bet not even half of the Republican field will show up. Actually, Democrats haven't done much better in some respects. Remember my story at the NABJ convention where only Hilliary Clinton and Barack Obama showed up. John Edwards would only come if he was a keynote speaker at one of the night meal functions. Ha! At least Edwards replied. NABJ didn't get a response from a single Republican candidate and the other Democrats. We have had a tradition of hosting both Democratic and Republican candidates. It tells you a lot, or at least I think so. And come up with a better excuse than a "scheduling conflict." C'mon, that's not even real. You set your own schedule and when you have two things going on at the same time, you decided which one you want to attend and which one you will skip. Black folks and other minorities are getting skipped an awful lot this election cycle. When will we wake up? I know, I'm getting crabby in my old age. Enjoy the article and let me know what you think and how we ask journalists and communicators should respond to this affront? -- Clyde Hughes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/
09/18/AR2007091801781.html?wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

No comments: